Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Time for an update

Seems to me like it's getting harder and harder for me to get updates up and with a lot going on too, wish I had more time so I could include more here. I've also been shortening down what I've been writing into little bullet points. So I guess for now, for some kind of update I'll just post some of the bullet points.


Isopod Study Update

. 6/10/09 I've decided to scrap the isopod study till the slings get bigger and can have larger homes. All the slings molted, and none of them seem to be found in the enclosures. I think shortly after molting, the T's ate them.


H. Villosella Communal Update

. 6/11/09 One of the slings tried to molt today, but some how it was stuck in the molt and wasn't able to get out. It was already dead when I found it, but had I found it alive, I don't think there is anything I could have even attempted to do, given their VERY small size at the moment.

.6 /22/09 The remaining 3 slings molted earlier in the month, shortly after the other one died, They appear to be almost .5"

. 6/30/09 All three slings are still alive and well. Two of them molted today and are finally .5". One more has yet to molt, Seems two of them molt only days appart, or in this last case only hours. The other one usually molts within a week of the other two, Maybe this means I have two males and one female, I sure hope it's the other way around though. Sure would be nice.


NEW COMMUNAL PROJECT

I've decided to start another communal project. This time I've gone with OBT's. A few people have communal set ups with them, as long as they are sac mates, same as the H. villosella. I got a shipment in from my buddy Franklin, and I got a 5" cobalt blue female. As well as the three OBT sling sac mates he had left, that I was going to use for the communal. I got the slings, and already had their home set up, I've named it The Orange Cube, since OBT's are orange, and it's one of them plastic cubes from the craft store. Before adding the slings, which are about .75" I added in 5 day old roach nymphs with their heads squished.

By the next morning, one of the slings had made a burrow in the substrate, and the other two were still crawling around and I saw them hanging out together, and touching each other, they didn't seem to mind each other, unless one went bolting for some reason and ran into the other, then the one who was bumped ran in another direction, no aggression at all. Also all the roach nymphs were gone, so they had a good feed. By that night a second sling decided to make a burrow as well, and by the third day all three slings had made burrows, Two of which have their openings facing each other, and they are often seen sitting at the top of the burrow next to each other, the other one made a burrow on the other side of the cube, but I think it's tunnel connects to one of the other slings. Decided to give them each another roach and they were very happily taken very quickly.


Well that's a pretty good update for now. I'll get my molt6 book and update on everyone who has molted, also will have to get a list of what species and how many I have up as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment