Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Isopod Study with B. vagans

I decided to take six of the B. vagans slings I got in and see how they did with isopods before adding them to all of my T's. The slings are less then half a inch in size. I started this project on 5/20. I labeled each vial I1-I6, the I standing for Isopod. I fed all T's the day before the isopods were introduced, but wasn't sure if they all ate or not, but added them in any ways. Here are my observations so far....


5/20 added 1 baby isopod to each vial with the B.vagans slings.

5/21 Slings in vials I5 and I3 ate the isopods over night. I'm not sure if they ate any of the meal worm I offered the night before. I decided to feed the slings again in 2 days and would add isopods back to the enclosures.

5/24 All isopods still alive, fed slings last night. Will reintroduce isopods to slings I3 and I5.

5/25 Reintroduced isopods. Both I3 and I5 ate them again. The rest of the isopods are still alive. I decided to try several with my Asian scorpion, and several were found dead in the water dish, several were dead on the bottom of the enclosure, and there were about 6 still alive moving around.

5/26 Found the sling in I1 dead, wasn't sure if it was really dead so I put it in ICU and it hasn't moved since yesterday. Death wasn't caused by the isopod, it hadden't even tried to feed on the dead body yet. Will continue study with the rest of the slings.

No comments:

Post a Comment