Sunday, May 17, 2009

Yet Another Molt!

Well yesterday when I went to go and check on all the kids I noticed the my P. irminia finally molted!. It had been refusing food for about 2 weeks now and finally popped. I'm not quite sure how big it was because when I got it, it was had already been living in it's vial for some time and had made a burrow kinda like structure on the ground and filled the rest of the vial with webbing, and make 6-8 tubes from the top of the vial down to the ground. But I'm guessing it was maybe 3/4" and now it surely grew A LOT in size, I'm guessing it to be around 1.5-1.75".

I'm still waiting on my A. avic to molt, it hasn't moved out of it's webbing at all, but I have seen it turn around and is always on one side of the webbing. Last night I was thinking maybe it was expecting it's prey to walk into the tube ends on the web, So I took a tiny roach and put it in the end tube that the T was facing, and it ran right by her and the T was not intrested, it went into the corner and then ran under the T again, out the other end of the webbing, so I took it out and fed it to someone else. This poor thing is making me really nervous. It hasn't eaten anything in 2 months now and was eating 1-2x per week. Both temps and humidity are in the 80's and I've even tried raising temps during the day for a few days with no luck. Maybe it's taking so long because it's quite possiably will be it's mature molt? Seems to be 3" or so now. I hope she molted soon.

Also still waiting on my penultimate rosea to molt. Hasn't eaten in about a month, so I'm not sure if it's in pre molt, or just being a rosea. It's abdomen doesn't appear to be getting any darker to me. Once he molts, and has been given a week or so to harden up, and gets a couple meals in him, he'll be sent out on a breeding loan to hopefully make some babies, as I only have one female, and she is already gravid. Although if my MM dies, and the female has her sac before this guy molts, then I'll keep him around long enough to breed with my female again and then send him out on a loan.

I also think that two of the German import blue fangs I got in are going to molt soon because they haven't eaten in a just over a week now either. I hope they both do as they are so tiny, and one of them is missing a leg and a palp.

On a ending note, I've been thinking about doing a communal project for while now and I've been looking at H incei and H villosella. But I just found someone with real cheap B vagans and I'm researching now to see if anyone has done a communal project with them before, or if it would just end in a bunch of death. So I'll keep you updated on that, and may even make a special blog just for the communal project.

No comments:

Post a Comment