Thursday, May 7, 2009

It's Been A Month

Wow has it really been a month since my last post here? It doesn't seem like it's been that long. I've been getting in New T's left and right. Current count is 21 I think.

Here's the list(don't think I forgot anyone)

1 MM OBT
1 MF OBT
2 OBT slings
1 A. avic sling
1 MF thai tiger sp.
1 MM rosea
1 penultimate male rosea
1 MF rosea
1 C. fasciatum sling
1 B. vagans sling
1 P. Irmina sling
6 blue fang slings
1 C. elegans
2 A. versicolor slings

I just got 3 of the blue fangs in(yesterday), they are of German import. They were sold as .5" but when I got them one must have molted because it is 1" and the other two still need to molt as they are .5" which I hope they do so soon because I've been told by breeders that they can be tricky to care for/keep alive until they get to that 1" mark. Also the TINY tiny one came missing a palp and leg I on the right side. So hoping it lost it awhile ago and will come back with this next molt and not have to wait for another. But it is eating, took it awhile to pick up the roach I fed it, squished the head so it wouldn't burrow and still move for the little thing. Also got the C elegans in with the Germans and it's .75" and really amazing, took down a crix the same size as it before it even hit the bottom of the vial.

So far everyone has molted for me, except for my two MM's and my penultimate male, the 3 new Bluefangs, the elegans, and the irmina all in like a months time. I mated my OBT's and just like my rosea she molted the day after being bred for the first time. So she's had 2 weeks to harden up and feed, and she's been going on dates again since the 2nd. She has had a total of 4 successful dates and now I'm waiting to see if she's going to fatten up and lay a sac. Still waiting on the rosea to lay her sac, she's just been getting bigger and bigger, but they take their sweet time and I'm sure I'll be waiting well after the OBT has her sac.

I did have a 2" blue fang sold to me as a female as my 1st one and I had it for about 1.5 weeks and it was feeding fine, and I saw it out of it's burrow nightly, I saw it on top one night, and then not for 3 days, I wasn't worried about it or anything and on the 3rd day when I went to feed it, I noticed the smell of death, I dug it out and it was surely dead. I took it to a blue fang breeder, and they said it was infact a male, and it had mites, but wasn't sure what caused the death. We both kinda came to the conclusion that it was a combination of stress from shipping and the mites. I also got a female cobalt blue, she was about 4-4.5" and I had her for about a week I think and she attempted to molt. She was just starting to get her legs out when she got stuck. I tried to help her out, but her two stuck legs (Leg II on both sides) were really bad, One wasn't even fully formed. It was totally weird and a good learning experience for me on how to cut one out of it's molt. Also it's side ruptured and started to bleed, and I was able to stop that with some crazy glue. But she ended up dying before I was able to fully free her, I think she lost too much blood before I noticed and was able to stop it.

Well I guess that's a pretty good update for now, I'm off to watch the T's.

No comments:

Post a Comment